The Government have produced a new countryside code. https:// www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-countryside-code/the-countryside
Residents are reminded to follow the Countryside Code and Respect everyone by:
- being considerate to those living in, working in and enjoying the countryside
- leave gates and property as you find them
- do not block access to gateways or driveways when parking
- be nice, say hello, share the space
- follow local signs and keep to marked paths unless wider access is available
Did you know that a public right of way is just that? The right to travel along the right of way. You are not allowed to stop for any significant length of time. So no picnics. The landowner has the right to either grant or deny cycling/horse riding along a public right of way.
The landowner can also request that you have your dog on a lead whilst on a public right of way. The landowner has the right to shoot dogs if they are running loose amongst livestock.
Obstructing a public right of way is a criminal offence.