Students and staff are celebrating another record breaking year at Poynton High School Sixth Form. This summer our 150 Year 13 students took over 400 A-Level and BTEC examinations and have achieved record results across the board, bucking the national trend. Nationally, the number of A-Level grade A and A*s has fallen by 1.3% yet Poynton High Sixth Form students have bucked this trend building on last year’s record by a further 5%.
With 54% of all A-Levels graded A*- B and 80% A* – C, the students of Poynton Sixth Form have once again showed their greatness and inspiration. With 17 students gaining straight A and A* grades it is yet another year of great success by our students and recognition of all of the hard work by them, their families and our staff.
Mr David Waugh, Head Teacher, said, “…it is truly amazing to see yet another rise in attainment, especially given the national picture, by our sixth form students. Our Year 13’s have been an inspirational group of young people and have achieved superbly at all levels and across all subjects. We have had exceptional results this year across such a wide range of subjects and having been able to process their results through the A-Level Performance System national database it shows that our students have achieved in the top 10% of the country. With these Year 13 results and us recently winning the SSAT Outcomes Award at GCSE, Poynton High School and Sixth Form is officially in the top 10% of all schools at both GCSE and A-Level. It is a genuine privilege to serve these young people, our great staff and our amazing community”.
Mr Richard Hardman, Director of Sixth Form, said, “…our tradition of high academic achievement has continued; it is once again another record breaking year. Students, families, staff and governors are celebrating the successes of their endeavours with 30% of our A-Levels/BTECs at A and A* grades and more students than ever securing their progression to places at university, apprenticeship or employment. The range of universities and courses our students are now progressing to is truly inspiring from University College London to Bristol, from Medicine to Physics, from Ancient History to Art Foundation.”
Mr David Waugh, Head Teacher, said, “…once again our students have done themselves, their families and our school, proud. This cohort of students have been amongst the first across the country to study for the newly reformed academic A-Levels and BTECs and these fabulous results are the culmination of so many hours of dedication and determination. With 30% of all our A-Levels being graded as A or A* it represents real life changing opportunities for our students. We have students now going off to study a truly awe inspiring range of courses at our country’s top universities, including medicine, law, dentistry and a vast range of other university courses. This is the culmination of many thousands of hours of hard work by our students and staff and I would like to wish all of our students the very best of luck as they move on to the next exciting chapter of their lives. Well done class of 2019!”
Specific Case Studies
- A-Level Mathematics = 50% A*- A grades
- A-Level Economics = 50% A* – A grades
- 80% of all A-Levels graded A* – C; 54% of all A-Levels graded A* – B; 99.1% overall pass rate
- Daniel Oldham, A* A* A* A* going on to study Natural Sciences at Durham University. Daniel has become the highest achieving student at A-Level and GCSE having built on his previous successes with us from Year 11.
- Matt Hughes, A* A* A* going on to study Mathematics at Durham. Matt also achieved a Grade A in his Extended Project Qualification a year early!
- Aleeha Ali is moving on to study Dentistry at Newcastle University having achieved three A grades
- Chloe Buchan is successfully moving on to Newcastle University having gained A*AA and is off to read English Literature, her lifelong passion.
- Phoebe Whitaker has achieved Distinction Star, Distinction and Grade A and is going to study Digital Marketing at the University of Derby
- Benjamin Parry, who gained grades B C D has secured a Higher Level Digital Apprenticeship (Coding and Programming) with Siemens Automation